Tuesday, March 9, 2010

So Long Freedom Hall

For some strange reason I can not remember the first time I walked into Freedom Hall. It was probably for a tractor pull, circus or something to that effect. My folks were not into the whole athletic scene. It might have been a car show for all I know, but I just can’t put my finger on it.

I will always remember my first Louisville football game. In a frigid Old Cardinal Stadium, a Brett Favre hail mary bounced off a helmet to lead So. Miss over the Cards. I was hooked on the Louisville athletic scene at that moment (if not a little pissed off). But my first basketball game…damn I wish I remembered. Especially now as my beloved Freedom Hall is getting ready to host its final Louisville game this Sunday against #1 Syracuse. Amazing…the Freedom Hall and Louisville relationship dates all the way back to the early 50’s.

What I do remember are some unbelievable moments in the hallowed hall. Great games with remarkable players in an atmosphere that was second to none. Freedom Hall fans were always credited with being some of the most knowledgeable in college hoops. With virtually zero student section, the Hall would still shake like Cameron Indoor when the Cards were hot. It might be a Darrell Griffith tomahawk dunk or a Taquan Dean deep three that would surely get the natives restless.

If I was fortunate enough to have a ticket to the game, 90% of the time I was with my Uncle, brother or Charmoli. Matt and I saw Western Kentucky come in and beat the Cards in ’01. Greg and I have seen some dandies in there as well. Georgia Tech came in with James Forrest and Travis Best and a national ranking…they left with a 20pt smack down. We saw the triple overtime game against Boston College and a few Metro Conference championships. My favorite memory of Freedom Hall with Charmoli was the C-USA Championship game against Memphis where we sat in Reece Gaines family section. We saw, from about ten feet away, Dean drop a dagger in from the left wing to win it.

Some other highlighted moments from the Hall as the light go down for the final time:

Tennessee vs. Louisville- Bryant Northern’s three followed by Reece Gaines three. Just an unbelievable atmosphere, the Hall was crazy. People didn’t leave their seats after the game. Literally we just stood there in disbelief.

Francisco Garcia’s freshman year when Cincinnati came in ranked #4 and left with a loss. Garcia dropped eight threes on the Bearcats and Steve Logan that night.

My dad always made sure he took us too the NBA preseason game that used to play in the Hall. Got to meet Mark Eaton one time, saw Jordan play in there as well. Meeting Eaton was more impressive and hence it was listed first.

The Derby Festival was a game that I didn’t miss for 5-6 years in the late 80’s and early 90’s. I would get there early and stay late to get the “Stars of Tomorrow” to sign my program. I got some nice autographs…Mashburn, Tracey Murray, Derek Anderson (who told me he was signing with UofL!) and along those same lines, Allan Houston. Take a stab at how he signed my program. Allan Houston/U of L. Wow…what a thought.

But most of all I will miss the sights and smells of the old place. Like a smack in the face, the smell of fresh roasted nuts and caramel popcorn hit you as step foot in the place. It’s the only home court I know for the Cards…it will be missed.

No comments: