Monday, April 13, 2009




The NBA is closing in...




I'm excited to say that the NBA is back, or at least as close as it can be. My youth limits my memories of the Magic vs Bird era where the league had tv's locked down on Sunday afternoons, but I have heard the stories. By the time I was following the game, Magic had AIDS, Bird had a bad back, and a man they called "Air Jordan" had taken the thrown. Back then people would watch in amazement while these two legends would hit the hardwood, dazzling viewers and fans with finger-rolls, impossible base line jumpers, no-look passes, and hook shots. It might arguably been the greatest decade the sport has ever seen.

True, Jordan set the pace in the 90's with all the shots, dunks, and rings that gives any basketball fan chills just thinking about it. His yearly drama of retiring, gambling, playing baseball, and coming back, then coming back again, held our attention in his hands for as long as he wanted to. The Admiral won a few rings which was nice but ended an era that was classic, something truly worth following.
Well, for the first time in nearly a decade...it's back! (I think). We suffered through many "shoulda woulda's" like K Brown, Stackhouse, and Vincanity. Chosen ones that never delivered more than spots on Sportscenters Top Ten. The league has something to watch. Players like D-Wade, Kobe and LeBron have our attention. The table is set, the rivalries are developed. Sure we had the Lakers dynasty revamped only to let Shaq and Kobe ruin it off the court...I blame Phil.

With the playoffs nearing I will watch. I will watch to see how far Wade can carry an overachieving group of role players, and how long King James will remain a Cavalier(my guess is if they win the big one he stays in Cleveland). I will also watch to see if Kobe can get a ring without Shaq. In years of late he has planted his dominance with no hardware, and no contenders. With Kobe, James, and Wade the league has finally got the cast we want to follow. With teams like the Nuggets with Melo and Billups, CP3 in New Orleans, the aging Spurs, defending champs Celtics, and many others also in the hunt for a title...this post season is worth watching.

I'm glad it has arrived. The next group that will dazzle us. The group that will show off our league the way it has in the past. Though nothing will compare to the 80's and 90's that produced legends, I think this is the beginning of a new...and for that I'm excited.

1 comment:

Jlippy said...

Awesome article. I cant agree more with the direction the NBA has taken. Its getting back to the ways of Bird and Magic with must see games during the regular season. Lake Show vs. Bean Town; Cavs and Celts is another great matchup. Good stuff...I'll watch.