Thursday, April 16, 2009

Top 6 Albums/Tapes I Have Bought More Than Once

6) Thriller - Mike Jackson. This was the first tape I ever owned, and I wore that damn thing out. I remember on my birthday opening the shoe box and finding this piece of artist gold just lying there. Two thoughts raced through my mind: a. How could my parents treat this man and his work like this and b. how in the hell do I open this plastic contraption and listen to "P.Y.T?" Since then I have bought this album and its monumental collection of songs over and over is some form or fashion. Recent times have been tough on the old King of Pop...but he will always be remembered for creating this masterpiece.

5) License To Ill - Beastie Boys. This is the record that made every white kid in my grade school feel like a hardcore gang members. It took us a while to eventually learn that The Beasties Boys were white too and not really hardcore. It was like back in the day when we thought drinking Zima was the shit because it was malt liquor. Jolly Rancher's bitches. License To Ill featured bomb cuts like "Paul Revere," "She's Crafty," "Brass Monkey," and of course "You Gotta Fight." That video lived on Mtv for almost two years. It wouldn't go away.

4) Appetite For Destruction - G N' R. This album and ensuing videos hit Mtv like a scud missile. It seemed every song that came out of this record was money. I actually believe this was my first musical purchase in the late 80's with money I earned from slingin rock. Not really, it was from mowing grass. Although I do remember buying a De La Soul tape around the same time. Nevermind, I didn't buy that tape because I distinctly remember tearing off the PARENTAL ADVISORY sticker in the store. I've bought this tape at least twice, stolen it from friends numerous time and eventually bought the CD.

3) Crash - DMB. I would set the over/under on the amount of times I've purchased this CD at about 6. Why? I have no effing clue. It seems as soon as I buy the damn thing I lose it. I've lost this CD a different parties along the way and even forgot it one a boat one time, I think. It's a good CD. Its like my "Catcher in the Rye" from Mel Gibson's movie Conspiracy.

2) The Chronic - Dre. This CD will always have a spot in my library. Eventually my kids are going to get sick of me listening to it. It jammed out of our Alpines and Pioneers for three years back then. This includes at least 2-3 trips to Panama City for Spring Break. I originally bought it for Dre's first single, "Nuttin' But a G Thang," but quickly found it to be the fifth best song on the record. This CD is just plain stupid. For anyone who was in high school in the early to mid 90's you know what I'm talking about. Really it was the only thing we listened to. Hell, it took me a year to eventually find it had 16 songs on it...I never made it to the end. It featured Nate Dogg, Warren G, Krupt, Daz and of course introduced Snoop Dogg to the world. It was a masterpiece by the former NWA founder. By comparison, here's what else we were listen to in 1992-93 and you can see why it blew everybody away: a. Boys II Men b. Whitney Houston and c. Sir Mix-A-Lot. They were all trash. If by some chance I lose this CD, and I will, you can count on me rolling into Camelot Music the next day. If it were still there.

1) Ten - Pearl Jam. The sole reason for the Pine to put together this list was the recent re-release of Ten from Pearl Jam. I, along with millions of others, will get out and buy this classic being re-released. It's coming back with additional songs, originals getting remixed, and a DVD of the Unplugged from '92. A very clever way to make us buy it again. I'm down with that. This CD could rival The Chronic in defining the era I grew up in. If you weren't listening to one you were jamming to the other. Nirvana is typically credited with the grunge movement and redefining the music scene in the early 90's, and that's fine, but I was hesitant to jump on board. Then I heard Ten and I was sold. I bought it then and many times after that. I actually still had a copy in my car when I went to buy the re-released version last week. Unbelievable CD.

Well that's it...the top six. Maybe your list looks the same, maybe not. I had some others that were close to making the list and were just edged out... like Smashing Pumpkins, Live and Snoop Dogg. What's your list look like?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW, WHAT AN AWESOME LIST. I'M GLAD THAT YOU DIDNT FAIL TO MENTION LIVE...ANOTHER MASTERPIECE THAT CAN BE LISTENED TO FROM START TO FINISH. SWAP OUT GNR WITH THE SECOND CD OF OUTKAST (ATLIENS) AND YOU HAVE MY LIST AS WELL, WITH M.J. AS #1

Anonymous said...

Thriller......really more than once? Every other album I will give you but Thriller. Remind me to punch you in the gunny sack when I see you.

Anonymous said...

Really wish you would keep up this site. This list is epic. Even when our kids are drinking beers/adult beverages with us after bid day, this list will be intact. You are a literary genius and need to keep putting pen to paper. God Bless 'Merica.

Juan J.