Friday, April 10, 2009

Why I Love the Masters


Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest:

Alexander Pope 1733


During this week the memory of snow and freezing rain begin to disappear, and thoughts of summer fortunes fill the air. It's the flowers blooming and the scent of fresh cut grass permeating that subtly tips me off. It can mean only one thing...it’s Master weekend and I couldn’t be happier. For 75 years golf professionals from all walks of life have battled the majestic Augusta National Golf Course, in hopes of being called the best. To wear the distinguished Green Jacket in Butler Cabin and be forever linked to the greatest golf tournament we have ever seen.

For this one-week we use distinct names to describe the features of Augusta National. We instantly know that Rae’s Creek adorns the 13th green like a treacherous medieval moat. To get to the 12th you must cross Hogan’s Bridge, and be ever so careful on the 17th for the Eisenhower Tree. Try keeping your nerves in check while coming around Amen’s Corner late Sunday. Pay no attention to that roar up ahead of you, it was just The Bear making eagle on 15 to draw even. This tournament is so special to me and others because of the the traditions that have become synonymous with the first week in April and The Masters.

One of the traditions that cannot be surpassed is the ceremonial starter on the first tee on Thursday. With the sun just appearing over the horizon and dew still on the ground Arnold Palmer striped the first drive this morning and walked off to a roaring applause. I remember growing up and see Gene Sarazen, Sam Snead and Byron Nelson teeing it up…well into there 70’s and 80’s at the first hole. I know in my time that I will eventually see Jack as the honorary starter, then Freddy and possibly Tiger Woods far down the road.

Last year I had the privilege of walking the golf course for a Tuesday practice round. Just unbelievable. Here is a very special Riding the Pine – My impression of Augusta - Top 6:

6) The Patrons: Barely a peep could be heard from the masses of people crowded around a hole or on the walkways. Everyone just whispered his or her way around.

5) The Location: I had always imagined Augusta National to be way off in the middle of a national forest. It’s not even close. Imagine having the greatest golf course in the world nestled off Dixie Highway. Its right off the road. We parked in an apartment complex and walked in. It reminds me of Churchill Downs in a way...not the greatest part of town either.

4) Magnolia Lane: The camera shots during the coverage give to no justice. It is amazingly long and leads to a bustling intersection. It parts the driving range and chipping green. The trees form a tunnel that leads right to the clubhouse and front door.

3) The Hills: I’ve always heard the announcers talk about the elevations changes on the course and how TV doesn’t paint the most realistic picture. Check and Check. If you tripped going down #10 fairway, you wouldn’t stop rolling until you hit the green. When you stand that the first tee you can look down the hill and see #9 green, #18 green and #10 tee all within 50 yards.

2) The Concession Prices: The concession are cafeteria-style lines that move in perpetual motion. It's just like walking through a grade school lunch line. Everything is Master’s label with no brand names. It's Master’s chips, Master’s peanuts and Master’s crackers. Pimento Cheese and Egg Salad sandwiches are the food of choice in Augusta...and I thought I was in heaven. So I walked though my first time with a pimento sandwich, chips and a cold beer, expecting to pay a small fortune. The nicest person in the world that I have truly ever met said in a southern drawl, “That’ll be $3.75 sweetie.” I said, “Let me grab another beer.”

1) The Golf Course: Everything is perfect.

1 comment:

Greg said...

I LOL'd at your experience while getting food. So good.